Preparing your protein shake at home is great for many reasons, but perhaps the most important is that you can ensure the ingredients are natural and healthy. For this reason, we are going to tell you some protein shake recipes on what ingredients you need to make your own protein shake. Please, Note some points for your good health:
- The classic ingredient is egg whites. Whites are known for their great nutritional contributions, especially a large amount of protein. A lot of people usually eat raw egg whites. But, be careful! If you eat them raw, you will lose all of these proteins because your body will not process them. In addition, there is a risk of contracting salmonellosis. For this reason, the idea is to cook them, you can cook them in the oven or in the microwave, just a little so that as soon as they turn white, you can take them out.
- Choose between water or milk. The liquid base for homemade smoothies is skim milk, buttermilk, and even soy milk. In particular, in the case of cow’s milk, it contains two essential elements for a protein shake: casein (slow absorbing protein) and dairy whey (long absorbing protein).
- On the other hand, if you want to combine the homemade smoothie with a commercial protein product (such as protein monohydrate), it is more advisable to replace milk with water, as it is better digested.
With all this information, we are going to see below the best homemade protein shake, both for losing weight, gaining muscle mass and others.
Tip: Remember: Additionally, you can add quinoa, hemp, flax seeds, chia, poppy, etc. to your smoothies.
Here are those Protein Shake Recipes
1. Homemade protein shake for dinner
This smoothie is a classic in the fitness world, a perfect blend of slow absorption protein (Greek yogurt), fast absorption (skim or skim milk), medium absorption (3 egg whites), and a portion of carbohydrates (banana), combination perfect for overnight repair! This shake is ideal as an addition to a suitable dinner, as it will help your muscles grow and repair and maintain glycogen levels. Remember that the most important time for muscle fiber growth and repair occurs during nighttime sleep, so the more lean body mass, the more fat, and calories are burned. A fitness shake!
- 3 cooked egg whites
- 250 grams of unflavored Greek or low-fat yogurt
- 1 banana, cambur, or ripe banana
- 250 milliliters of skimmed or skimmed milk
This smoothie is very easy to prepare because it all comes down to two steps:
- Cook the eggs (denature).
- Pour the denatured eggs into the blender with the rest of the ingredients and mix everything until you get a smooth drink. Perfect for the diet of protein shake for weight loss!
2. Banana and Nuts protein smoothie for losing weight
Another very important protein shake for muscle growth and regeneration is Banana Nut Smoothie. But, unlike the previous one, used after training. This shake provides you with the carbohydrates (simple and complex) necessary for the rapid recovery of glycogen levels, while its protein content (fast and slow) allows you to regenerate muscle as quickly as possible, preventing catabolism and benefiting its development.
That is, bananas (complex hydrate), cookies and sugar (simple hydrate), milk (fast protein), plain yogurt (slow protein) and nuts (slow absorbing carbohydrates) allow your muscles to feed quickly. and contribute to its development. Without a doubt, the Banana Nut Protein Shake has to be among the best homemade protein shake. Are you ready for your next training?
- 1 banana
- 20 grams of nuts
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (this is optional and can be replaced with brown sugar)
- 200 milliliters of milk
- 100 milliliters of plain yogurt
- 2 cookies
A protein shake in a 2 × 3! For this recipe, all you need to do is gather all the ingredients, toss and serve. A real elixir for your muscles!
If you prefer recipes with step-by-step photos, we suggest you sear the Banana Nut Protein Shake.
Tip: Nuts provide 20 grams of protein per 100 grams of product.
3. Egg Protein Shake
Another great alternative for dinner! A perfect shake for muscle repair during nighttime sleep. On the one hand, egg whites contain albumin, a medium absorption protein which when cooked and consumed is easily hydrolyzed and digested by the body, thus serving as building and repair units for tissues and muscles.
On the other hand, bananas, a complex carbohydrate, are responsible for keeping blood sugar stable during the long hours of the night. Finally, yogurt, which contains casein, a slowly absorbed protein, helps in the development and regeneration of tissues and muscles during the night’s rest period. Not satisfied with all these benefits, this drink is delicious! Without a doubt, a great choice among protein shake for weight loss.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 banana
- 1 natural yogurt
- 1 drop of vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites until snow point is reached.
- Pour the whites into the blender and add the rest of the ingredients. Well done!
Do you want all the details to step by step? Go here: “egg protein shake recipe”
4. Peanut smoothie to gain muscle mass
Don’t be fooled! It looks like a dessert, but it’s actually a nutritious drink for building muscle. What ingredients contribute to it? The classic peanut butter and milk. Yes, this cream spread contains important nutritional contributions to your muscles, promoting their growth and restoration (besides many other important benefits).
In addition, it contains a lot of fiber, phosphorus, iron, calcium, zinc, and magnesium. The rest? Brown sugar or brown sugar provides simple carbohydrates, which are great for maintaining glucose levels. Add to that the powdered milk, which for each glass you get 8 times more calcium than a glass of liquid milk and, also, a lot more protein (since the water has been separated from the milk).
When to drink this protein shake?
It’s perfect between meals when you need to recharge. Remember, if you prefer less sugar in your smoothie you can change the amount, it is also recommended to use home-made peanut butter as it is healthier and you optimize the smoothie. Do not miss the recipe for homemade peanut butter.
A perfect recipe for including protein shake in your diet to lose weight and gain muscle mass, the perfect complement to a balanced diet.
- 1 jar of cream or peanut butter
- 200 milliliters of liquid milk
- 100 grams of powdered milk
- 150 grams of sugar, brown sugar or brown sugar (can also replace a banana)
- 10 ice cubes
First of all, we recommend that you prepare peanut butter at home, as this gives you control over the amount of fat (better than the peanut itself) in the product. Once you have the peanut butter (bought or made at home), place it in the glass of the blender (or food processor you have), next to the milk (preferably skimmed). Then add the sugar or replace it with a healthier sugar. A fitness dessert!
5. Mango and Almond smoothie
Another powerful, tropical, and delicious protein proposition for your weight loss protein shake is the Mango Almond Smoothie. This drink has it all, simple carbs, fast and slow protein … perfect after a workout drink!
- 1 large mango
- 2 tablespoons of ground almonds
- 250 milliliters of skimmed milk
- 125 milliliters of plain skimmed yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 handful of ice cream
- First, crush the almonds and set aside.
- Peel and dice the mango, set aside.
- Add all the ingredients (including those reserved) to the inside of the blender and mash until you get a uniform, lump-free texture.
Do you want to see step by step with photos? Check it out in the Mango Almond Smoothie Recipe.
6. Vegan protein shake with tofu
Surely if you are vegan, allergic to milk, athlete, or just want to vary your lactose consumption, this shake will delight you, because it allows to regenerate and increase the muscles, with vegetable proteins! When is the right time to consume this protein shake? Without a doubt, after training.
But … what is tofu? Tofu is obtained from soy beverage, through a process of coagulation of this milk. This technique separates the liquid part from the solid part, (similar to the animal cheese process) and obtains tofu (the solid part of the soy drink). Soy milk contains the same amount of protein as cow’s milk (7-9 g / 240 ml), has the same amount of fat as semi-skimmed / skimmed milk (4 g / 240 ml), and is low in carbohydrates. An ideal milk substitute!
- 1 orange
- 100 grams of mango
- 50 grams of almonds
- 80 grams of semi-hard natural tofu
- Peel and cut the fruit into small cubes, set aside.
- Crush the almonds and set aside.
- Process the reserved fruit in the blender until there is a homogeneous liquid.
- Then add the ground almonds and tofu, mix again until you get a uniform consistency.
- Serve with ice and enjoy this must-have protein shake in the protein shake diet for weight loss.
Do not miss the step by step with photos here: “tofu smoothie recipe”
Tip: Soy milk contains isoflavones, so its moderate use is recommended for pregnant women or children.
7. Protein shake after workout
This beautiful protein shake has it all and more! Whole milk, avocados, and oatmeal are great foods for building muscle mass that we need to build when we exercise or have lost a lot of weight. A real green fitness elixir!
Since we know the benefits of milk for muscle and weight loss, it helps to know the properties of avocado, spinach, oats, and bananas. In the past, an avocado was not included in muscle building diets due to its high saturated fat and calorie content.
However, today it is considered the perfect ally for weight loss and training Due to its combination of nutrients (20 essential) and monounsaturated fats, it is very effective in building lean mass (improves definition in the phase volume) and reduces adipose tissue. On the other hand, spinach (also arugula and lettuce) promotes muscle development because it contains nitric oxide, which acts as a dilator, and nitrate, which promotes muscle function.
Oatmeal For its part, it is rich in proteins of high biological value, carbohydrates, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements. If you want to build muscle and lose weight, oatmeal can be your best ally because it contains everything you need for effective muscle growth. What’s more, it also controls cholesterol levels and loses weight.
This super cereal is perfect before training and after training because it replenishes the glycogen you spent during training and when correctly combined (for example with soy or soy milk) improves your quantity much more. of amino acids, bringing it much closer to the ideal needed for the body. Finally, bananas are easy to digest, provide energy, provide protein that builds tissue (also strengthens and develops muscles); In addition, it contains many natural sugars, minerals, vitamins.
When to drink this protein shake?
-Right after training.
- 1 banana
- 150 grams of spinach
- ½ avocado
- 1 teaspoon of flower honey
- 250 milliliters of milk
- 1 tablespoon of oatmeal
- First, mash the oatmeal or buy powdered oats and set aside.
- Wash and cut the spinach into small pieces, set aside.
- Peel the avocado, chop, and set aside.
- Next, peel and chop the banana and place it in the blender, along with the milk, ground oats, chopped spinach, avocado, and honey.
- Crush everything to get a smooth consistency. If you prefer the lighter shake, smooth with more milk or ice.
Certainly, the way to learn is by observing, for this reason, we leave every step, very well detailed, in this recipe for green banana smoothie.
Tip: Consume at least 3-4 bananas a day to build muscle mass.
8. Turmeric and Ginger Protein shake to lose weight and gain muscle mass
According to specialized studies, turmeric reduces stress response, therefore, cortisol will also be lower, facilitating the increase in muscle mass, preventing loss of lean mass (especially in very strict diets), and promoting the elimination of fat. Turmeric can increase fat tissue loss in several ways, for example:
- Inhibit fatty acid synthesis and increase beta-oxidation.
- Decrease fatty acid levels with RNA for key enzymes involved in fat storage.
For its part, cinnamon helps to burn fat cells, because it speeds up the metabolism thanks to its thermogenic power, and to reduce them because it regulates the level of sugar in the body. On the other hand, ginger speeds up metabolism, helps digest better, makes you feel full, and lowers cortisol levels, which makes it easier to increase lean body mass and decrease body fat. There is no doubt that among the best homemade protein shake for weight loss, it stands out with its exotic flavor and excellent results.
- 2 bananas
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1 pinch of turmeric (for reference you can start from 1/3 teaspoon)
- 1 pinch of cinnamon (you can start from 1/3 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (brown sugar, brown sugar, or even a sweetener of your choice)
- 300 milliliters of semi-skimmed milk
- 4 ice cream cups
- Peel and cut the ginger, set aside.
- Remove and discard the banana shell, chop it and place it in the blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything until you get the consistency you want.
If you are a very visual person, you might prefer to see the recipe step by step for yourself. To do this, check it out here: “banana and turmeric smoothie“
9. Pistachio protein shake for muscle mass gain
Pistachio is a real treat for the palate, as well as nutritious for the body. However, this dried fruit has another lesser-known quality, its contribution to increasing muscle mass in sports diets. This is due to the contribution of a very valuable amino acid called arginine. This amino acid is responsible for muscle recovery, as it improves blood circulation and, with it, the supply of nutrients to the body’s cells (such as muscles), as they aid in the process of creatine synthesis.
Now add to this smoothie the proteins of milk (best skim) and ice cream (in this case preferable yogurt ice cream, low-fat ice cream, or low-fat yogurt), a dessert for the muscles!
- 180 grams of pistachio ice cream
- 150 milliliters of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 10 peeled pistachios
A very easy, delicious, and beneficial shake for your muscles.
- The first thing you need to do to make this protein shake is to pour the milk into the blender along with the vanilla and pistachios (they also serve 3 tbsp).
- Mix very well, until the ingredients are completely incorporated and without lumps.
- Finally, add the ice cream, beat, and serve. Let’s toast some good muscles!
If you are very detailed and want to make sure of everything, you better check this recipe step by step here: “pistachio smoothie”
10. Vegan Banana Yogurt Protein Smoothie
By ingesting this delicious drink, you will enjoy several benefits for the growth of your muscle mass and weight loss (especially fat) but without ingredients of animal origin. A vegan alternative for the muscles!
The benefits of rice milk for muscles and weight loss? Although it does not contain the same amount of protein as cow’s milk or soy milk, this type of milk compensates for its nutrients in carbohydrates and calories (full of nutrients) because it is even more efficient at reaching the ‘muscle hypertrophy (in case of this is the goal).
Remember, although whey, casein, and albumin are essential for building and maintaining muscle, calories are essential for helping muscle grow and lose weight. When is it best to feast on this smoothie? During breakfast. So, this is a perfect homemade protein shake for breakfast.
- 300 milliliters of rice milk
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 bag of chai tea
- 1 chocolate soy yogurt
- 1 handful of peanuts
- 1 handful of chocolate chip cookies
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
Reserve the bananas in the freezer ahead of time and wait for them to freeze. Then follow these steps:
- Crush the peanuts and set aside.
- After a while, pour the frozen bananas, peanut butter (peanut butter), cinnamon, chai tea bag (black tea, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, pepper, star anise) into the food processor or the mixer. ..) and rice milk.
- Process all of these ingredients until you have a smooth, smooth drink.
- Serve in a smoothie jar or glass as follows: pour the chocolate soy yogurt, add a few small chocolate cookies on top, pour the smoothie inside, garnish with the reserved peanut and place more chocolate cookies. An exquisite vegan fitness proposition!
Who can drink protein shakes?
Protein shakes are ideal as a dietary supplement for a wide variety of people, including:
- People with very fast paced lives who lack time for elaborate menus.
- Lovers of good health.
- People who want a balanced diet.
- Fitness people.
- People who want to lose weight.
- People who have lost weight very quickly and have lost muscle.
Are protein shakes good?
The truth is, there is no one answer, because it all depends on each person and, most importantly, on the type of protein shake you take. If we opt for advertisements, maybe we are not giving our body what it really needs. Likewise, and while homemade protein shakes are always a much better option, the truth is that it is always recommended to go for whole fruit pieces when possible.